Template Details

Document I have a foreign licence but reside in the UK – can you insure me?

At JMI, we can insure you on a foreign licence providing that you adhere to the following from the DVLA website:

Driving in Great Britain (GB) on a licence issued in a European Community / European Economic Area (EC / EEA) country:

A valid community licence issued on the strength of a driving test within the EC/EEA, will allow you to drive in GB for a set period. Alternatively, you can exchange your licence for a British licence.

Provided your licence remains valid you may drive in GB:

Car, motorcycle driving licence holders (ordinary driving licence) - until aged 70 or for three years after becoming resident, whichever is the longer period.

In order to continue driving after these periods, you must get a British driving licence.

Driving in the UK on an International licence or licence issued outside the EU:

If you are the holder of an ordinary driving licence (car, moped, motorcycle entitlement) and providing that your licence remains valid, you can drive any category of small vehicle shown on your licence for up to 12 months from the time you became resident.

To ensure continuous driving entitlement, a provisional GB licence must have been obtained and a driving test(s) passed before the 12-month period elapses. If you obtain a provisional licence during this period, you are not subject to provisional licence conditions e.g. displaying 'L' plates, being supervised by a qualified driver or being precluded from motorways.

However, if you do not pass a test within the 12-month concessionary period you will not be allowed to drive as a full licence holder and provisional licence conditions will apply. If you do not apply for a provisional licence within the first 12 months you must stop driving and obtain a British provisional licence with a view to passing a driving test. Provisional licence conditions will then apply.



Rate this help topic.

You can rank this document